Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Illustration Friday - Crooked

IF - Crooked                                                      (c) Liz Stevens Illustration 2012

Here's one I've been working on  for Illustration Friday.  Being that it's feeling much more like fall (and when I think of fall, I think Halloween of course), and the fact that I've been drooling over Edward Gorey's luscious illustrations, I decided to try my hand at a Gorey-like image for this topic.  This couple is "crooked" but in a different sort of way!  You can decide if it's good or bad, no judgement here!  ;)

The main thing I discovered is how easy great illustrators make things look - and how hard it really is to imitate someone's style.  My poor attempt needs some more line work for sure, but I thought I'd share it anyhow.

Cheers!  -L

8 comments:

Creations By Mit said...

Love it! You've created a very mysterious, and rather sinister mood here! And I immediately thought Gorey, even before I read the post!

Julie_c said...

I LOVE IT! Several years ago I tried my hand at a Gorey-style piece and yes - big time work. I think you did a lovely job.

Cindy D. said...

Wow! Very Gorey! I love him so of course I think this is outstanding!

Celia said...

Big fan of Gorey myself and I was delighted to see your beautiful little homage to him, excellently done!!!! :) Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

I love the patterns you've incorporated into the illustration and the costumes are fabulous! Great work!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I really enjoyed doing this one as I love to work in pen & ink (marker in this case) and I vow to practice my crosshatching so I don't have to cheat next time! lol Appreciate your comments very much. :D

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I really enjoyed doing this one as I love to work in pen & ink (marker in this case) and I vow to practice my crosshatching so I don't have to cheat next time! lol Appreciate your comments very much. :D

karumina said...

really really... crooked!!!
love it!
karumina