Monday, September 10, 2012

Enter the Dragon

I'm naming this post after an insanely fabulous idea I saw on the Muddy Colors blog ( muddycolors.blogspot.com ) which I found whilst googling the amazing art of Justin Gerard.  He is one among many of the giants of the industry who is doing absolutely gorgeous work in the fantasy/scifi/comic genre.  I found him by attending his panel at Dragon*Con and was just blown away by his stuff.  Plus his panel was extremely informative and entertaining.  He's funny, bright and so so talented.  I was just in awe.

www.justingerard.com

I am also inspired by Elizabeth Malczynski Litton who illustrated Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong trilogy paperback edition in the 70's.  I met her at the con and she was just the nicest lady.  Her work makes me want to draw and draw and draw so I can maybe get to someday be as good as she is.

http://thedragonstudio.com/

The Muddy Colors blog group is doing an "Enter the Dragon" celebration of dragons.  Since I'm always looking for an opportunity to motivate myself, and having just come back from the con and suffering fantasy withdrawl... I decided to do my own Enter the Dragon celebration.  Who doesn't like dragons??  So in honor of Dragon*Con, Justin, and Elizabeth...  here are some shots of my latest excursion into dragonland!
I'll post more progress pics as this one progresses.  

rough sketch 
Detail



My goal:  at least 2 finished dragons in 2 weeks.  Also I will try to emulate Justin's technique of doing the initial drawing in graphite and then taking that into Photoshop to color comp.  Wish me luck!  

- Liz

No comments: